Truvada for PrEP is an expensive medication, but don’t let that scare you. About 99% of Nurx PrEP patients pay nothing for their medication. How this works: Our team will bill your insurance (if you have it — no worries if you don’t), Medicaid, or Medicare. We’ll also walk you through the process of enrolling in any co-pay or patient assistance programs you’re eligible for. In most cases these programs cover 100% of the cost for the medication, meaning the out-of-pocket cost for Truvada for PrEP is $0.
One Example of a typical PrEP patient:
- Cost of medication $2000/month
- Insurance covers 80%, leaving a 20% co-pay: $400/month
- Gilead co-pay card covers up to $7200/year of out of pocket costs, so expenses of $4800/year (400/month x 12 months) are completely covered.
- Out of pocket cost for 1 year of PrEP = $0
Starting and staying on PrEP also requires regular lab tests, and costs for these varies. See How much do PrEP lab tests cost? for more information.